Tuesday, January 28, 2014

That One Time Alex Was A Director

In becoming the journalist that I want to be, I want to try my hand at all of the different aspects of journalism, not just reporting.

Since last fall, I've had an internship with The Ilene Silverman Show, a local television program that airs on about three different channels here in Gainesville. I've been doing production work for the show, including (but not limited to) shooting video, working with setup and breakdown of the set, working with microphones and lighting, catering to the host and guests, and most recently, directing from the production booth.

Manning the stations.

I was so anxious and scared, mostly because the last time I was put in front of a bunch of buttons and knobs, I ended up messing up an anchor reading off of the teleprompter during the filming of her tease for the 5:00 news because I was going too fast for her pace and she yelled at me and all of the other producers lost faith in me. But, I knew that without me "being the boss" as my new boss likes to call it, there would be no show.

The first couple of rounds were rough. It was difficult to keep an eye on what was happening on screen while simultaneously keeping track of time cues and giving camera directions to the other producer out on set (they don't have automated cameras, so everything has to be moved around manually).

After about the third segment, I began to get the hang of telling the producer where to go while making sure that the takes were all correct and that we were also on time. The taping actually ended going by super-quickly, and I received a lot of praise from my boss as well as the host for my work and for not losing it. Most importantly, I was proud of myself for getting through a high-anxiety situation and for no one yelling at me!

Everyone's faith remained in me, and I gained some confidence and faith in myself. Maybe this production route wouldn't be so bad after all. Only the future well tell. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment